The Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points
With three intro offers currently on the table, the Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points is offering 40,000 bonus Qantas Points after a $3,000 spend, a discounted annual fee in the first year, and 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months. In terms of black card extras, the card provides a number of enticing features, with a strong focus on travel.
What we love...
When you sign up for the Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points, you will receive 40,000 bonus Qantas Points after spending $3,000 within the first 60 days. In terms of points boosts, this is not a bad one at all. Depending on when you choose to travel, 40,000 Qantas Points could whisk you away to Fiji perhaps, or to your next adventure in South East Asia.
As for everyday points earning, the card offers an earn rate of:
- 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent up to $4,000 per statement period,
- 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent for the remainder of that statement period, with no points cap,
- 1 additional Qantas Point on selected Qantas products and services.
As Qantas has one of the best known rewards programs in Australia, it’s likely you know most of what it’s got to offer. For those that don’t, you can redeem points for flights or upgrades, for Qantas Club membership, for Qantas Insurance or Qantas Wine, or within the Qantas Store, for more than 3,000 items. If you are not yet a member, Macquarie Bank will provide complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership, saving you $99.50.
On to the second part of this card’s intro offer. As a new cardholder, you will benefit from a discounted annual fee in the first year. Bear in mind that after that first year, the annual fee almost triples, so you may find it harder to gain real value from the rewards you earn. But, you may choose to boost your points earning power by adding up to four additional cardholders to the account with no annual fee.
Last but not least is the balance transfer offer. With this, you will get 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months, giving you more than a year to pay down credit card debt as you pay zero interest on your transferred balance.
What’s not so great...
It’s always important to compare your options when choosing a card, especially on premium cards such as the Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points. You may notice that its platinum cousin has a pretty similar offering, providing the same bonus point earn with a lower spend requirement, and the same earn rate, but with a lower threshold for points shaping.
Take into account each card’s annual fee, to then weigh up your likely spend. Also take note of the extras on offer to find out which card offers the most value to you.
Why should you choose this card?
Typically, cardholders choose black cards such as the Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points for their features and rewards. As we’ve already discussed this card’s potential to earn rewards, let’s get into the features on offer:
- 24/7 Concierge Service: This concierge service is available around the clock, offering assistance with everything from travel bookings to restaurant reservations.
- Airport Fast Track and Meet and Greet: This Airport Concierge service is available at more than 400 airports around the world, assisting cardholders with arrival and departure, including expedited transfer through immigration and security where available. Service charges apply.
- Discounted Concierge Limo Service: This provides 20% off the limo service booked through the card’s concierge, up to a value of $100 per year.
- Overseas Airport Lounge Access: This allows access to more than 750 airport lounges around the world, helping to ease the stress of travel. Service charges apply, excludes airport lounges in Australia.
- Complimentary Insurance: This provides Overseas Travel Insurance for you, your spouse and any dependent children, Interstate Flight Inconvenience Insurance to cover meals or clothing, and Extended Warranty Insurance on eligible card purchases.
- Visa Entertainment: This offers access to a wide range of exclusive events and offers on music, sports, movies and theatre.
With a definite focus on travel, the Macquarie Black Card with Qantas Points provides a number of excellent extras, alongside 40,000 bonus Qantas Points, a discounted annual fee in the first year, and 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months.