The Macquarie Black Card with Macquarie Reward Points
By applying for the Macquarie Black Card with Macquarie Reward Points, you can pick up 60,000 bonus Macquarie Reward points simply by spending $3,000 on the card within the first 60 days. Aside from some very nice traveller-focussed black card extras, the card also offers a discounted annual fee in the first year, and 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months.
What we love...
When you sign up for a black card, you expect to benefit from some decent black card extras. So, what does the Macquarie Black Card with Macquarie Reward Points have to offer? Situated one step up from Macquarie’s platinum card, this card steps up both the extras and the intro offers. Let’s get into the intro offers first.
As a new cardholder, you can take home 60,000 bonus Macquarie Reward points when you spend $3,000 on the card within the first 60 days. As you would expect, this is a bigger points boost than what’s on offer on the platinum card. Similarly, the everyday earn rate on the black card is higher, allowing cardholders to earn 2 Macquarie Reward points per $1 spent, uncapped.
So, what can you spend those points on? The Macquarie Rewards program seems to focus on gift cards and cashback, as these are the only redemption options mentioned on the bank’s site and terms. While there is also no info on the value of points earned, this is something you can find out when tracking and redeeming points via the bank’s app and online banking options.
Helping to offer new cardholders value, the card is also currently offering a discounted annual fee for the first year. With this reduced annual fee and the card’s bonus points, you could really boost your points earn in the first year. But, bear in mind, you may have to work harder to see value on your rewards when the standard annual fee kicks in.
Adding other cardholders to your account could help with this. You can add up to four additional cardholders to the account with no annual fee. This not only helps to simplify family finances, it could also add more spending power to your account, allowing you to earn points faster and get more value from the card.
Last on the list of intro offers is the card’s balance transfer offer. Giving you 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months, this could let you transfer an existing card balance to pay it down faster, as you pay nothing in interest on it. Remember that any unpaid transferred balance reverts to the card’s purchase rate, which is not particularly low.
What’s not so great...
Let’s talk a bit more about that interest rate. You will often find premium cards such as this have a high purchase rate. Yes, this card offers plenty in the way of intro offers and extras, and yes, it offers the opportunity to earn rewards – but if you want to make the most of all that, you need to avoid interest costs accumulating.
You can do this by paying off your balance transfer within the intro period. Once you’ve cleared your balance transfer, you can take advantage of up to 55 days interest free on purchases as long as you clear your balance by the due date each month.
Why should you choose this card?
This card is all about the extras, so naturally, it would likely suit a cardholder who wants more from their card, earning rewards while also enjoying valuable features. Time to run through some of the features you could benefit from on the Macquarie Black Card with Macquarie Reward Points.
- 24/7 Concierge Service: You can access the card’s concierge service around the clock, to gain assistance with anything from organising travel arrangements to ordering a gift for that someone special.
- Airport Fast Track and Meet and Greet: At more than 400 airports around the world, you can benefit from the services of an Airport Concierge, assisting you with both arrival and departure. Expedited transfer through immigration and security is provided where available. Service charges apply.
- Discounted Concierge Limo Service: You can benefit from 20% off Concierge Service limousine travel when you book through the concierge and pay for it on your card.
- Overseas Airport Lounge Access: You will have access to more than 750 airport lounges around the world, to enjoy a more relaxing travel experience complete with complimentary refreshments and snacks. Service charges apply, excludes airport lounges in Australia.
- Complimentary Insurance: You can enjoy peace of mind thanks to Overseas Travel Insurance for you, your spouse and any dependent children, Interstate Flight Inconvenience Insurance to cover meals or clothing, and Extended Warranty Insurance on your purchases.
- Visa Entertainment: You can access exclusive events and ticket pre-sales, with offers on music, movies, theatre and home entertainment with Visa Entertainment.
Providing access to a wide range of black card perks, the Macquarie Black Card with Macquarie Reward Points entices you with a range of intro offers, including 60,000 bonus Macquarie Reward points, a discounted annual fee in the first year, and 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 14 months.