The Big Review: St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card - Qantas
Flaunted as St.George’s most rewarding credit card, the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card certainly seems to have a lot to offer. Allowing cardholders to earn on the Amplify Rewards or Qantas program, this prestige rewards card also offers a birthday points bonus, two lounge visits per year, Visa Luxury Hotels membership, complimentary insurance and personalised service. But that’s not all – apply today and you could earn 90,000 bonus Qantas points.
- 90,000 bonus Qantas points
- Earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1, uncapped
- 10% Birthday Bonus on points earned in the past year
- Amplify Rewards points can be redeemed on popular frequent flyer programs, including Virgin Australia Velocity, Malaysia Airlines Enrich and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- 2 Priority Pass or Qantas Club lounge visits per year,
- Visa Luxury Hotels membership
- Complimentary travel and retail insurance cover
- 24/7 Concierge and Priority Service Line
- Amplify Signature Travel Service
- Standard annual fee $279
- Reduced annual card fee of $179 in first year, saving you $100
- To be eligible for bonus points, cardholders must spend at least $4,000 on eligible purchases within 90 days of card approval.
- Offer not available to existing St.George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who hold an Amplify Platinum or Signature card, or those who have held one within the past 12 months.
- 19.74% p.a. purchase rate
- 21.49% p.a. cash advance rate
- Overseas transaction fee: 3% of the converted amount
This Card: The Lowdown
Choice is the name of the game on this rewards card, giving cardholders the option of earning points on Amplify Rewards or the Qantas program which we are looking at in this review. With a decent earn rate and no points cap in place, this is the perfect card for big spenders who want to earn rewards on their everyday purchases while enjoying a nice selection of perks on the side.
Currently, cardholders can also enjoy 90,000 bonus Qantas points, which can be exchanged for Amplify Rewards, redeemed within the Virgin Australia Velocity, Malaysia Airlines Enrich and Singapore Airlines frequent flyer programs, or transferred to a Qantas account.
90,000 Qantas Points: Spend or Save?
- On the Qantas program, with 45,000 Qantas Points you could fly from Sydney to Bahrain, Los Angeles, Dubai or Vancouver.
Designed to offer premium perks to cardholders, the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card currently offers the following extras:
- 10% Birthday Bonus on points earned in the previous 12 months.
- 2 Qantas Club lounge visits per year.
- Visa Luxury Hotels membership, providing you access to best available rate guarantee, automatic room upgrade (when available) and 3pm checkout (when available) in some of the world's most sought-after hotels.
- 24/7 Concierge and Priority Service Line
- Amplify Signature Travel Service
Offering added peace of mind while shopping at home and overseas, the card also offers a range of retail insurance covers, as well as a full suite of travel insurance covers.
- Overseas travel insurance
- Interstate flight inconvenience insurance
- Transit accident insurance
- Rental vehicle excess insurance
- Purchase security insurance
- Price guarantee insurance
- Extended warranty insurance
With the basics covered, it’s time to dig a little deeper into what’s on offer with the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card, so you can decide whether this card is right for you.
When you opt in to the Qantas frequent flyer program, making this a Qantas frequent flyer card. This provides an earn rate of:
- Earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 spent on eligible purchases
Your Qantas Points will be transferred to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account after the end of each month's statement cycle. You can maximise the points you earn by using your card to spend on goods and services at any of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program's extensive range of partners, so you earn once on your card and once with the partner.
As an Amplify Qantas Signature customer, you’ll receive complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership – all you need to do is call the Amplify Signature Priority Service line and they'll do the rest. Earning on the Qantas program also means you’ll have access to the Qantas Club lounge instead of Priority Pass lounges, but more on that later.
Birthday Bonus Points
Every year, your St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card will give you a Birthday Bonus, providing you with an additional reward of 10% of the points you earned in the previous 12 months. Be aware, this does not include the bonus points you receive on sign-up.
Whether you earn points on the Amplify Rewards program or the Qantas program, within four weeks of your birthday, you’ll receive your Birthday Bonus points to spend as you like.
Say, if you spend $40,000 on your card within the year, your base earn total would be 30,000 Qantas Points or 60,000 Amplify Rewards Points, so your Birthday Bonus would be 3,000 Qantas Points or 6,000 Amplify Rewards Points. Happy Birthday!
It’s also worth noting that you can have one additional cardholder at no extra cost, which could allow you to earn points even faster. However, while the additional cardholder’s earned points will be used to calculate the accumulative points total for the Birthday Bonus, only the primary cardholder will receive that Birthday point bonus.
Generally, cards that allow cardholders to earn on frequent flyer programs tend to offer perks that a frequent flyer may enjoy. The St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card is no different.
When it comes to airport lounge access, the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card has two options on offer. Cardholders who earn points on the Amplify Rewards program can enjoy two complimentary lounge passes per year through Qantas Club.
Amplify Qantas cardholders will have access to the Qantas Club lounge when travelling on Qantas or Jetstar. You and a guest could enjoy dedicated check-in, priority baggage handling, complimentary food and beverage, wireless internet and the latest newspapers and magazines.
Visa Luxury Hotels
As a cardholder, you will also benefit from Visa Luxury Hotels membership. Within the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection is an exceptional selection of intriguing and prestigious properties, ranging from beautiful boutique accommodation to world-famous hotels. As a member, you will enjoy:
- Best available rate guarantee,
- Automatic room upgrade upon arrival (when available),
- 3pm check-out (when available) at over 900 luxury hotels,
- Free in-room internet,
- Complimentary continental breakfast,
- VIP Guest status,
- US$25 food or beverage voucher.
To find out more about available deals at participating hotels, visit visaluxuryhotels.com and see whether this particular feature will be of benefit to you.
Amplify Signature Travel Service
Another premium travel perk available to St.George Amplify Signature cardholders is the Amplify Signature Travel Service. Helping you save time when organising and booking a trip, this dedicated phone service provides the assistance of professional travel consultants, who have access to travel offers and packages exclusive to Signature members.
The Amplify Signature Travel service line is 1300 851 324, open 8am-8pm (AEST), Monday to Friday.
This Card: Extras on Offer
Prestige cardholders expect certain extras on their credit card. Why else choose a prestige card, if not for the extras on offer? When it comes to added extras on the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card, the usual suspects are on offer. If you’re not familiar with prestige offerings, that means a personal concierge service and complimentary insurances.
24/7 Concierge and Priority Service Line
A personal concierge service generally comes as standard on prestige cards, assisting cardholders with everything from travel bookings to restaurant recommendations. As a St.George Amplify Signature cardholder, you will have access to the Amplify 24/7 Concierge, which can basically act as a personal assistant when you’re at home in Australia, and when you travel overseas.
Available only to Amplify Signature cardholders, this concierge service can help you organise a birthday get-together or buy a gift for a loved one, it can reserve a table in your favourite restaurant or call you a taxi when you need to get home. And if you have any queries about your card, or if it’s lost or stolen, this Priority Service line will help you get the matter sorted out.
Again, complimentary insurance is typically made available to prestige cardholders. However, the word ‘complimentary’ can be misleading, as you are paying for all the features on offer in the annual fee you pay out on the card. Whether the insurances on offer are of use to you will depend on the card and the way in which you use it.
For a relatively low annual fee, the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card offers a full suite of insurances. These include:
- Complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance for up to 6 months
- Complimentary Purchase Cover for up to 4 months
- Extended Warranty Cover for up to 12 months
- Transit Accident Insurance
- Certain medical and hospital expenses overseas – unlimited cover (except emergency dental and bed care patient allowance)
- Unexpected cancellation of your travel arrangements and associated expenses – unlimited cover (maximum of AUD $10,000 for a family)
- Up to $500 per person for travel delays.
- Up to $550 per person for loss or damage to travel documents.
- Up to $20,000 per person for accidental loss or damage to eligible personal property
- Up to $5,500 of excess cover for loss or damage of a rental vehicle
Before relying on any credit card insurance cover, it’s a good idea to check the PDS to find out what’s covered and what’s not. As long as you know what to expect, these insurance options could save you hundreds of dollars on standard cover, which could help to balance out the card’s annual fee.
This Card: The Essentials
When comparing credit cards, you should always look closely at the need-to-know info, not just the fun features. In terms of interest, this card has a relatively high purchase rate and cash advance rate, so it’s not a great choice for cardholders who carry a balance.
To be eligible for this card, you’ll need to have a minimum annual income of $75,000, with available credit limits ranging from $15,000 to $80,000. At $279 per year, it has a significant annual fee, but that’s actually pretty low compared to other prestige options, especially when you look at everything that’s on offer.
When you take into account the relatively low annual fee, the St.George Amplify Signature Credit Card is an outstanding option. Offering a great earn rate on a selection of rewards programs, this rewards card becomes even more appealing when you look at all that’s on offer, from Birthday Bonus points and lounge access, to Visa Luxury Hotels membership and personalised service. And there’s 90,000 bonus Qantas points to take into consideration too!